[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu May 3 12:58:52 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 11:20:54AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
[...]
> > To answer your original question, several gigs of downloads per mirror
> > per day is a pretty good indication of being a leading project.
>
> Compare with VLC.
>
> Downloads are nothing more than numbers.

yes also the bandwidth needed for svn update vs. downloading a full
release.tar.gz would have to be considered and the number of people using
a package from some distro, the actual size in bytes of release.tar.gz, ...

> What you want and need are
> (active) developers and mindshare.

well, why dont we do something to attract more developers?

mplayer could have used googles summer of code for that but even now
a similar project based on donations could be done

or a contest to implement X, with some funny price like 10l cola
and some entry in a contributors/credits file

> We are a handful of people

> hacking
> away in their spare time without any direction or organization.

true but i see nothing bad here, rather the opposite that the wrong
direction and organization could do much more harm then no
direction and organization does

> Other projects have hundreds (even thousands) of developers,

> artwork people,

try a logo contest or a contest for some other mplayer related art
it will attract artwork people, of course if everyone is too lazy to
organize that and write a few words on the homepage then theres no hope

also if the contest is flawed it wont work, that is it must be clear
that:
* copyright of the submissions must allow us to use it under GPL
* who decides on who is the winner
* what the submission will be used for, that is we should gurantee that the
  winner really is used as logo or on the homepage as background or whatever

also someone should mention the contest on some places where alot of artwork
folk hangs around, like deviant art

[...]

> marketing teams ...

well i think oppinions differ if these are needed or wanted

[...]

I have never wished to cater to the crowd; for what I know they do not
approve, and what they approve I do not know. -- Epicurus