[MPlayer-dev-eng] spring cleanup

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:07:23 CEST 2007

2007/3/21, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:48:11AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > BTW, further candidates for removal are welcome as always ;-)
> >
> > Is gltest.c in any kind of use? I sure don't use it, if anything I use
> > MPlayer directly to benchmark. Keeping it is not much effort, but it
> > seems kinda pointless...
>
> If you don't use it I assume nobody does.
>
> So while we're at it, why not go over the complete list of files in
> TOOLS/ ..
[...]
> - w32codec_dl.pl
>
> We distribute all necessary codecs, I don't see what this is good for.

I'd like to keep that one.

# this script will use MS's codec dl interface as used by MS Media Player
# to attempt to locate the codecs listed in codecs.conf. It will download
# them to a directory "codecs/" below the current dir.

At one time there was attempt to avoid distributing binary codecs and
let mplayer do the same as wmp, get them directly from microsoft. That
functionality wasn't build-into mplayer (I think) for security
reasons, but this script was created instead.
Even ignoring the security aspect there is still possibility that M$
could change their codecs at any time and break the compatibility.

I don't know why it never got popular, probably because of the
"cabextract" dependency and lack of documentation. The
changed/security aspect of the codecs could have been solved with
md5sums :)

Anyway, it is still feasible method for legally obtaining necessary
binary codecs.
And prove that we can always obtain them in other means.

> - install-w32codecs.sh

This one is good to go. It downloads our w32codecs.