[MPlayer-dev-eng] Strip MPlayer/MEncoder binary with "-s"

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Mar 27 04:19:14 CEST 2007

On Tuesday, 27 March 2007 at 03:47, Stanley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to add "-s" in --extra-libs. As you know, adding "-s" causes the
> GCC linker to strip out the unused code from the binary. The result is
> the binary of MPlayer/MEncoder is 1-3MB smaller (depending on features
> compiled in) than before.
> My question is will this do harm to some functions of MPlayer/MEncoder.
> If not, why isn't '-s' added by default. I did some tests and until now
> didn't find any problem.

What makes you think it isn't stripped?

$ cat Makefile
[...]
install-mplayer: mplayer$(EXESUF)
        $(INSTALL) -m 755 $(INSTALLSTRIP) mplayer$(EXESUF) $(BINDIR)
[...]
install-mencoder: mencoder$(EXESUF)
        $(INSTALL) -m 755 $(INSTALLSTRIP) mencoder$(EXESUF) $(BINDIR)
[...]
$ cat config.mak
[...]
INSTALLSTRIP = -s