[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [RFC] h264 over rtsp without AVParser

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Mar 20 14:06:46 CET 2007

Hi Uoti!

> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala <at> pp1.inet.fi> writes:
>
> > I changed the code so that it should probably support this now. I did
> > not test it with separate NAL units though.
>
> I can confirm that mplayer -correct-pts is now able to play those separate NAL
> units, if I set the timestamp for the first packet and MP_NOPTS_VALUE for the
> remaining.

Followup after more testing:
Apples rtsp streams are not pts-monotone, meaning from time there is a "jump" in
pts values. If the stream does not contain B-Frames, and -correct-pts is used, I
get exactly one "pts value <= previous" message for one backwards jump of pts.
There are no such messages for the following frames that also have smaller pts
than the frame before the jump.
If the stream contains B-Frames, and I set every NAL that is not first packet of
frame to MP_NOPTS_VALUE, then I get "pts value <= previous" not only for the
first frame after a pts jump backwards, but also for the following frames until
the original pts value is reached.
(These messages come along with video stutter.)

I hope this explanation is helpful, Carl Eugen