[MPlayer-dev-eng] (your) MPlayer mp3lib changes to be included in a mpg123 release under LGPL

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Sat Mar 17 09:19:18 CET 2007

Hi,

I am the current maintainer of mpg123 and want to include improvements
from the MPlayer project's mpg123-based mp3lib in a new mpg123 release.
The license of mpg123 is LGPL, the license of MPlayer is GPL.
mpg123 is LGPL to have a unified license with mpglib, which shall see a
rewrite/update with newer mpg123 code in the future (and then
hopefully be used by MPlayer instead of MPlayer folks having to
maintain mp3lib themselves).
I'd like to keep that unified LGPL license and thus ask for the
permission to extend the license of any changes and additions to mpg123
code I import back from MPlayer to LGPL 2.1.

I've compiled a list of people who had contact with the mp3lib code
from the svn history (be it though direct edits or sending a patch) and
that I have not yet contacted:

arpi: Gereöffy, Árpád (A'rpi/ESP-team)
atmos4,atmosfear: Bünemann, Felix (Atmos)
faust3: Sommer, Sascha (Faust3)
gpoirier: Poirier, Guillaume (poirierg)
henry: Makovička, Jindřich (henry, x0rph)
jkeil: Keil, Jürgen
kmkaplan: Kaplan, Kim Minh
nexus: Horst, Bohdan (Nexus)
nplourde: pontscho: Ponekker, Zoltán (Pontscho/fresh!mindworkz)
rathann: Mierzejewski, Dominik (Rathann)
reimar: Döffinger, Reimar (reimar)
rfelker: Felker, D Richard III (dalias)
VMiklos
Björn Sandell

This mail goes out to all of these and the mplayer-dev-eng mailing list
to maximise reachability; in case someone whose email address has
changed is monitoring the list, or someone else on the list has
something to add on this matter.

The code concerned is what is in the mp3lib subdir of the mplayer trunk
plus the mangle.h header file which eases asm compiler portability.

So, I ask you: Do I have your permission to include your contribution
to MPlayer's mp3lib in mpg123 and release the result under the LGPL
instead of GPL only?

Alrighty then,

Thomas.