Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] key frame extractor / vo_jpeg use YV12 instead of RGB patch

Andreas Krebs andreas.krebs at web.de
Fri Mar 16 21:29:32 CET 2007

> > I was looking for a program to extract relevant key frames from a
> > video for creating a web page index. since I didn't find a program I
> > liked, I decided to write a video  output driver for mplayer to do
> > this.
>
> Sounds like something MPlayer has long been able to do, without
> modifications.

I didn't find any setting to get e.g. the 20 most representative frames
in a movie - how can this be done?

> > PS: if anybody has a good algorithm for calculating image similarities
> > (for the key frame selection) please let me know.
>
> You mean like -vf decimate does?

from what I understand -vf decimate does only remove near duplicates,
but I guess it can be modified to keep only really different frames. so I
think this is maybe a better approach than working on a video output driver.

the only problem I see, is that I need the frame number from the input
movie (so that I later can use the file name with the frame number for
seeking in the video). is this information globally available, so that I can
modify vo_jpeg to use this number instead of counting the frames itself?