[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Use utf-8 for all source files?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 12 21:32:02 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 06:22:28PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 06:12:35PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> >
> > I see no problem with using some utf-8 in comments for author names and
> > such. Compilers shouldn't be a problem; if they haven't choked on
> > latin-1 they should not choke on utf-8 (as latin-1 allows MORE byte
> > sequences than valid utf-8). And compilers which have problems with
> > non-ascii could not compile the current translation files.
>
> I don't remember the details, this was discussed a long time ago.  Does
> anybody remember the reasons?  Rich?

I don't remember any such issue. I'm all in favor of using UTF-8 in
author names where needed. The output for these strings would be
broken (displaying 2-3 codepage chars per UTF-8 sequence) if someone
built MPlayer with a legacy charset as the internal encoding (still
possible IIRC), but that's much less bad than the old situation with
latin1, where conversion would encounter "illegal sequence" on these
strings!

Rich