[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Use utf-8 for all source files?

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Mar 12 17:12:35 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 16:53 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 06:52:22PM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> > 2007/2/28, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> > >What source files are affected?  The idea is really that all sources
> > >should be ASCII and all the rest UTF-8.  I think this is the decision we
> > >came to when discussing this some time ago because some (legacy?)
> > >compilers might possibly choke on UTF-8.  latin-1 is bad, this needs to
> > >be fixed in any case.

I see no problem with using some utf-8 in comments for author names and
such. Compilers shouldn't be a problem; if they haven't choked on
latin-1 they should not choke on utf-8 (as latin-1 allows MORE byte
sequences than valid utf-8). And compilers which have problems with
non-ascii could not compile the current translation files.

> > Some examples: demux_mpc.c (Reimar's name in comments), demux_mpg.c
> > (Reimar's name in literal string), tvi_v4l.c (Ivan's name in
> > comments), vf_unsharp.c (Remi's name in literal string), etc. Cosmetic
> > only.
>
> All fixed.  If you stumble across more, point them out to me.

I'd change those to utf-8 instead of ASCII. Anyway here's a list of
all .c and .h files which contain non-ASCII text:

./Gui/mplayer/gtk/menu.c
./Gui/mplayer/gtk/about.c
./help/help_mp-pt_BR.h
./help/help_mp-bg.h