[MPlayer-dev-eng] screensaver patch

Adam Tlałka atlka at pg.gda.pl
Sat Mar 10 16:52:27 CET 2007

Dnia Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:49:23 +0100
Adam Tlałka <atlka at pg.gda.pl> napisał(a):
> As I checked XResetScreenSaver call works properly with Xserver
> methods so generally beter solution will be to make a patch to
> xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver so they notice result of
> XResetScreenSaver call and do not activate their actions. So
> periodically calling XResetScreenSaver while playing video should be
> enough in case of properly working screensaver programs. There is no
> need for additional api usage or dirty hacks bound to specific
> solutions (DBUS,dcop or shell scripts).

XResetScreenSaver is in typical X11 while new XScreenSaverSuspend needs
Xss extension but it is the desired solution.

XWarpPointer will work always but it is some kind of a hack.
Using Xtst and fake keypress will be a good hack too but need this
particular extension of Xserver. Anyway with some unused keycodes it
could be worth using.

Mplayer should use XScreenSaverSuspend call if Xserver
supports it and additionally Xtst method if it's present and
XWarpPointer as a last resort. Usage of these hacks should be optional
so default proper behaviour will be XScreenSaverSuspend call.
Other hacks are not bound to X11 protocol and are user desktop specific
and not network transparent so should be abandoned.

I must test Xtst solution a  little more so I can make a patch
compliant with presented above logic.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka       mailto:atlka at pg.gda.pl    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
System  & Network Administration Group       - - - ~~~~~~
PGP public key:   finger atlka at sunrise.pg.gda.pl