[MPlayer-dev-eng] to be root or not to be root

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 01:06:29 CET 2007

2007/3/6, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch>:
> Moin,
>
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:02:17 +0100
> Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
>
> > As there is no point in me being root if i'm not absolutely
> > trusted, i offer to step down from my position[1], given there
> > is someone to replace me.
> > The reason why i condition it on someone replacing me is that
> > we are already short on manpower with me.
>
> This mail is coauthored by both Diego and me (Attila).
>
> Unfortunately, I (Attila) was again too quick to write a mail
> without first asking the opinion of the other people involved.
> We have thus decided to write this mail together to prevent
> the remnants of the last issue to get even worse than they
> already are.
>
> As Attila has written in his previous mail, being root requires
> absolute trust from everyone involved. If anyone who is root
> does not have this absolute trust, then he/she is the wrong
> person for the job and should not have root rights in the
> first place.
>
> In the last days a few people have expressed that they lost
> this trust in us after seeing how we handled the last
> issue. Thus, ultimately if the MPlayer developer team as such
> does not trust us anymore, we should not be the ones having
> root rights.
>
> Hence we call for a vote of confidence and offer to step

Vote? Vote? Voting for absolute trust. Is this some kind of joke?

> down from our position. Of course we will help our
> successors with the takeover of the system, if the team
> decides to relieve us of our posts.
>
> As the last discussion was quite heated, we would like to ask
> everyone to stay calm and wait a little bit before replying to
> any mail in this thread, so that we can avoid another flamefest.
>
> Please notify us of your decision until the 20th of March.

While reading the above mail I was imagining one body with 2 heads and
3 arms... no Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, thought ;)

Seriously.
Trust we estimate on the way we predict how somebody would react in
given situation.
If we think they would do the right thing we trust them.

That's why I'm not interested of public seppuku. I want to know what
mistakes do you think you have done, your REAL motives for doing them
and what would you do if any of the situations happen again.

(To be honest I already heard Diego explanation)