[MPlayer-dev-eng] check recommended MPEG2 encoding options

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Mar 6 04:13:43 CET 2007

Hi

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:18:47AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
[...]
> > > the man page says it is a bad idea. man page also suggests (by my
> > > reading) that negative values for dia are fast but not exactly good.
> > > And don't B-frames also exist for MPEG-2 and are allowed for DVD?
> >
> > Required, iirc... On the other hand, lavf cannot mux them.

lavf can mux them, mencoder has problems with b frames! theres a difference

> Though my impression was that the MPEG-muxer in lavf is suboptimal
> anyway

the mpeg-ps muxer in ffmpeg is probably one of the best mpeg-ps muxers
you will find, the mpeg-ts which is not used for DVDs is shit

> (and we recommend the for MPEG-4 that seems much more likely to
> be muxed with lavf to me)...

parse error

[...]

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato