[MPlayer-dev-eng] to be root or not to be root

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Mar 6 03:18:24 CET 2007

Moin,

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:02:17 +0100
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> As there is no point in me being root if i'm not absolutely
> trusted, i offer to step down from my position[1], given there
> is someone to replace me.
> The reason why i condition it on someone replacing me is that
> we are already short on manpower with me.

This mail is coauthored by both Diego and me (Attila).

Unfortunately, I (Attila) was again too quick to write a mail
without first asking the opinion of the other people involved.
We have thus decided to write this mail together to prevent
the remnants of the last issue to get even worse than they
already are.

As Attila has written in his previous mail, being root requires
absolute trust from everyone involved. If anyone who is root
does not have this absolute trust, then he/she is the wrong
person for the job and should not have root rights in the
first place.

In the last days a few people have expressed that they lost
this trust in us after seeing how we handled the last
issue. Thus, ultimately if the MPlayer developer team as such
does not trust us anymore, we should not be the ones having
root rights.

Hence we call for a vote of confidence and offer to step
down from our position. Of course we will help our
successors with the takeover of the system, if the team
decides to relieve us of our posts.

As the last discussion was quite heated, we would like to ask
everyone to stay calm and wait a little bit before replying to
any mail in this thread, so that we can avoid another flamefest.

Please notify us of your decision until the 20th of March.

Thanks a lot for your understanding

			Diego & Attila