[MPlayer-dev-eng] to be root or not to be root

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 5 22:31:40 CET 2007

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 09:50:16PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 04:02:17PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > Some people expressed, after the recent incident, that
> > they do not fully trust me as root of mphq anymore.
> >
> > As there is no point in me being root if i'm not absolutely
> > trusted, i offer to step down from my position[1], given there
> > is someone to replace me.
> > The reason why i condition it on someone replacing me is that
> > we are already short on manpower with me.
> >
> > This is a sincere offer. Please don't use it to start a
> > flamewar and please take at least an hour, better a day
> > to think before you reply.
> >
> > Please let me know of your decission within two weeks.
>
> i think uoti has successfully thrown the project into chaos allthough
> i dont think he did that intentional ...
>
> now about trust, i can only speak for myself, but any of the 3 members
> of the root team could have closed uotis account as the vote required
> you are the only of the 3 who bent the vote so that uotis account wont
> be closed AND who publically  offers to step down, i think this makes
> you the one i trust most from the 3 members of the root team

hi attila,

i too appreciate the gesture, but by no means do i want you or anyone
else to step down from root at mphq or the project (except maybe uoti :).
the only mistake you made was calling the vote without thinking or
consulting others, and after that, you and diego both worked overtime
to minimize the damages and cool the situation down as much as
possible. both of you have a level-headedness and bring a 'conscience'
to the team that's much needed in times like these, and i can't think
of anyone else who could have done a better job.

sincerely,

rich