[MPlayer-dev-eng] to be root or not to be root

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Mar 4 21:50:16 CET 2007

Hi

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 04:02:17PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Moin,
>
> Some people expressed, after the recent incident, that
> they do not fully trust me as root of mphq anymore.
>
> As there is no point in me being root if i'm not absolutely
> trusted, i offer to step down from my position[1], given there
> is someone to replace me.
> The reason why i condition it on someone replacing me is that
> we are already short on manpower with me.
>
> This is a sincere offer. Please don't use it to start a
> flamewar and please take at least an hour, better a day
> to think before you reply.
>
> Please let me know of your decission within two weeks.

i think uoti has successfully thrown the project into chaos allthough
i dont think he did that intentional ...

now about trust, i can only speak for myself, but any of the 3 members
of the root team could have closed uotis account as the vote required
you are the only of the 3 who bent the vote so that uotis account wont
be closed AND who publically  offers to step down, i think this makes
you the one i trust most from the 3 members of the root team

or shorter, yes attila i trust you, the real problem is uotis stubbornness
he should just apply the damn patch from dominik then the spirit of the
vote has been fullfilled, noone lost his account and we all can be happy
again ... well until next time ;)

[...]

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato