[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] threaded decoding/filtering

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Mar 1 00:36:49 CET 2007

Hello,
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:08:39PM +0100, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> I had a quick test on a 1080p VC-1 HD-DVD and it lags (seems to require
> 80% cpu time for vdec and 35% for adec, so only few power is missing).
> For sure the playback would be smooth if the 2 cores were used.

Now ignoring the adec number, it is questionable if anything can be done
about this in the general case, it is not clear if decoding can be split
effectively between cores in all cases, so this might not be fixable -
and is something that needs to be done in lavc anyway I guess.
Though the proposed approach could help a lot with 1080i, it might make
it possible to use -vf yadif on it, which sure is a nice thing *g* -
well, it would be even nicer if they had just gotten rid of interlaced
formats though.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger