[MPlayer-dev-eng] PATCH dynamic link loader for libaf, audio filter package

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Sat Jun 16 12:55:46 CEST 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:18:44 -0400
"Marc Hoffman" <mmhoffm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 6/15/07, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 07:49 -0400, Marc Hoffman wrote:
> > >

> > > 1. I need to link at runtime a  module which  can't be integrated with
> > the
> > > code itself directly due to proprietary IP issues.  As long as Mike and
> > the
> > > rest of the crew don't get a hold of the so's.
> >
> > This sounds basically like an attempt to circumvent the GPL. Whether or
> > not it would actually be legal it might not be something we want to
> > encourage.
>

> Not completely, this is for some internal tools which someone plans to use
> as part of their service infrastructure.   So the software doesn't not get
> distributed as far a I know at least the software is not sold but the
> service is.  I think this is ok.

The fact that it's statically or dynamically linked doesn't matter.
If your overall product is distributed (including your audio filter),
it has to be under the GPL (including audio filter).
If it's not distributed you don't need to care about the GPL (it only
covers distribution), and thus you can link you audio filter statically.
So dynamic linking won't do any good in this respect.

Aurel