[MPlayer-dev-eng] Per-file -loop option reset brokenness

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Jun 15 22:21:37 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 22:52 +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> 2007/6/15, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi>:
> > The play_tree_iter_step call resets the option variables. The loop_times
> > option is kept in another variable during the call because after
> > initialization it's used as a decreasing counter for remaining loop
> > times, but would get reset too. Apparently the need to add this
> > workaround for the loop option itself wasn't originally enough to make
> > people realize there would be similar problems with other options...
>
> Maybe you should stop assuming that everybody but you are idiots.

Maybe you should stop assuming that I'm an idiot.

> Take a look of commit revision5656.
>
> Obviously, this is the intended behavior

What "this"? I think the intended behavior was to reset options to their
initial values, but as I explained earlier the implementation is broken.

>  and if you have complaints
> you should give specific case where this code causes problems and then

Here's one specific case: change playback speed before per-file loop.
The option-reset code will simply reset the playback_speed variable but
not do anything else. As a result you will have default playback speed
but with an audio filter chain built for a different speed. This of
course completely breaks sync.

> convince the original author (Alban Bedel - albeu) that your fix is
> the correct one.

The option-reset feature albeu committed is broken. As I said I don't
intend to fix it - that would basically require writing a more complex
implementation from scratch, and I don't think that would be worth it.
That's why I asked whether anyone depends on (some part of) this broken
feature. If not I'll just remove it; if yes I might implement some
replacement for the use in question.