[MPlayer-dev-eng] bisecting mplayer

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 11:48:59 CEST 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:04:40 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:

> Why a lot of pain?
>
> first: svn
>
> while git has a nice tool doing the work for you it isn't the problem
> (I still know how to pick half of a range), the main problem is that
> IF you have to go through some svn up -r ${something} it will have to
> keep fetching and refetching data, making the whole thing less than
> nice if you happen to have a less than stellar network.

I like binary searches because it's extremely simple to completely
automate, and just let it chug away on it's own for a couple hours.

If your network is slow, it's not such a good method.  You grab a
working and non-working checkout, and merge files from one to the other
until you know in exactly which file the bug lies.  Hopefully not many
of the changes will be interdependent, and therefore fail to compile.

Or perhaps with a just unreliable network, you could (eg.) cover a
month of changes by using SVN to generate a diff for each bi-weekly
period, then go offline and try each one.