[MPlayer-dev-eng] bisecting mplayer

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Mon Jun 11 00:04:40 CEST 2007

I spent the day trying to track a strange issue with mplayer, on ppc it
just build to crash and burn on load with niceness like not finding the
terminfo for xterm (right after opening the right terminfo entries) and
being unable to handle any file.

after a lot of pain I tracked it between date 20070605 and 20070606.

Why a lot of pain?

first: svn

while git has a nice tool doing the work for you it isn't the problem (I
still know how to pick half of a range), the main problem is that IF you
have to go through some svn up -r ${something} it will have to keep
fetching and refetching data, making the whole thing less than nice if
you happen to have a less than stellar network.

second svn:externals

Somebody could like this hack, well given that this hack makes your life
 a complete pain when you have to bisect since you need a revision of
libav* compatible with the mplayer revision and... well svn doesn't care
much...

In the end I'd have spared about a day if I read the open issues and
open patches and I made the link between my problem and the memcpy
redefinition.

This email is to point again how annoying could be svn and why externals
 could be more a problem than a solution.

lu

PS: I think there is a problem with the libpostproc makefile right now...

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero