[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] disable fastmemcpy on x86-64 by default

Sven Gothel sgothel at jausoft.com
Fri Jun 1 14:23:23 CEST 2007

On Sunday 27 May 2007 at 10:19, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> since SSE is part of the x86-64 architecture, at least glibc makes use
> of it for its memcpy and some quick (and imprecise) tests indicate that
> it's at least not slower.
> So what do you think about attached patch? Can someone do more concise
> benchmarks?

Well, as Michael N. stated, it depends on size,
that's why the next gcc will decide on that size,
how the memcpy 'function call' will be treated.
I.e. all below a 1 kbytes can be copied faster with sse2.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/gunnar/glibc/index.htm?page=benchmarks

So, till this new gcc is available, IMHO a generic memcpy inline function
shall make one happy, if size<1024 { .. double pointer stream copy } else
old fashion glibc memcpy ..

And yes .. it makes a huge difference ;-)

Cheers, Sven

--
health & wealth
mailto:sgothel at jausoft.com ; www  : http://www.jausoft.ca ; pgp: http://www.jausoft.com/gpg/