[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sad status of dvdread (overall)

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Mon Jul 30 10:47:33 CEST 2007

Some time ago someone proposed to update our dvdread to version 0.9.6,
that had some important bugfix and - according to my tests - didn't
introduce
any slowdown; now the official dvdread is at version 0.9.7 but the update is
still pending/dead.

Unfortunately I realized only recently that since at least v0.9.4 (maybe
sooner)
a huge bug was introduced in the code that reads and parses navigation data:
the previous (and sane) code that used calls to getbits() to assign
struct members
was removed and a lot of structs were redefined depending on the endianness
(one of the many example is struct  btni_t in dvdread/nav_types.h, enjoy
the crap).

As far as I know the C standard doesn't specify the layout of bitfields
in memory,
thus a change like that is completely at the mercy of the compiler =>
hopelessly broken,
infact dvdnav navigation doesn't work anymore.

I reported the problem to ogle-devel and to Bjorn (the main coder of
dvdread), but
so far I haven't had any answer.
To make things worse the development of dvdread seems to be quite messy
and closed
(I couldn't find a cvs repository, is there any? ) thus backtracking in
revision history is a PITA.

If Bjorn&co don't revert that mess I'm afraid I'll have to export
dvdnav's copy of dvdread
as an independent library after having updated it with the relevant bugfixes
(and maybe exporting it as external for main/ ).
Opinions?

 Sponsor:
 250 biglietti da visita Gratis + 42 modelli e Etichette per Indirizzo Gratis + Porta biglietti Gratis -Offerta limitata!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=6784&d=30-7