[MPlayer-dev-eng] Status of CoreAVC (last time) and using win32 codecs on x86_64

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jul 25 11:43:05 CEST 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Guillaume Poirier wrote:

> People are lazy. If they have a proprietary solution that just works,
> the open source solution has little chance to get developed/improved.

Well, my experience is that the devs seldom have access to higher spec
hardware, so they're usually not interested anyway.

> I'm not saying that proprietary solutions are Evil. If you go
> OpenSource, you have a chance to support a much wider range of
> plateforms, such as x86, x86-64, PPC-32, PPC-64, MIPS, Sparc, ARM....
> Everybody wins!

Of course.

Question is, is it really beneficial to wait 1-2 years without support at
all (we've already waited more than 6 months since the first coreavc
patches were suggested)? My guess is that ffh264 will get multithreading
anyway (I heard rumours that the mythtv people did develop it but the code
was refused) but it will take time either way.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se