[MPlayer-dev-eng] Status of CoreAVC (last time) and using win32 codecs on x86_64

e-t172 e-t172 at akegroup.org
Tue Jul 24 13:00:56 CEST 2007

Arpi a écrit :
> Hi,
>
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:16:37 -0700
>> Alan Nisota <alannisota at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I continue to get a lot of mail about using CoreAVC with mplayer,
>>> so I thought I'd post a status update.
>
> WTF is coreavc/corecodec ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoreAVC

Right now CoreAVC is the only existing solution to play HD video with
decent performance (unless you got your PC from the NASA :p ) through a
DirectShow filter. Other solutions based on DXVA (if your graphics card
supports it) exist, but only proprietary, expansive, bloated software
(PureDVD, Nero Digital) supports it.

CoreAVC can be used with any DirectShow-compatible player, except
mplayer which needs a few modifications (the patches we're talking about
here).

Yes, CoreAVC is proprietary. However there is no existing solution at
this time to play HD (1080i) video in real time with a totally free
software solution. I guess libavcodec could do that if ffh264 was
multithreaded (for use with dual-core CPUs).