[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer license versioning issue

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Thu Jul 12 18:39:25 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 12 July 2007 19:03, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Unless there is an "or any later version" clause it means just
> GPLv2. The problem with MPlayer is that some files are licensed
> under just GPLv2 while others have no or unclear license
> statements.
>
> In summary for all of the sources your best answer is no.

Ok, I will no use them without special permission.

> > To be more exact, I'm interesting in using parts of configure
> > script. My project is not multimedia related, but this script
> > contains a lot of usefull routines and it is not
> > autoconf-based crap, so it will be handy.
>
> Better have a look at FFmpeg's configure, it is considerably
> more elegant.

Oh, it is a great idea! Moreover FFmpeg's configure is LGPL'ed, so
it is legal to use it under GPL v.3 license according to paragraph
3 of LGPL:
" 3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General
Public License instead of this License to a given copy of the
Library.  To do this, you must alter all the notices that refer to
this License, so that they refer to the ordinary GNU General
Public License, version 2, instead of to this License.  (If a
newer version than version 2 of the ordinary GNU General Public
License has appeared, then you can specify that version instead if
you wish.)  Do not make any other change in these notices."

> Any parts of both configures I have written you are free to
> reuse under GPLv3.

Thanks a lot for your kindness.