[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer license versioning issue

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Thu Jul 12 15:00:16 CEST 2007

Hello, all.

May I use parts of mplayer code under GPL v3 version or it is
forbidden?

I'm not a lawyer, but as I understood, GPL v2 and v3 are strictly
speaking incompatible. The only exeption is when author mentioned
"GPL v2 or any later" or doesn't specify GPL license version at
all. I'm somewhat misundenstand this sentence in the Copyright
file: "You are free to use it under the terms of the GNU General
Public License, as described in the LICENSE file." Does this mean
strictly GPL v2 (LICENSE file), or imply possibility to use any
version of GPL and v2 in particular, because GPL version is not
specified in the Copyright file?

To be more exact, I'm interesting in using parts of configure
script. My project is not multimedia related, but this script
contains a lot of usefull routines and it is not autoconf-based
crap, so it will be handy.

In the case of impossibility to use this code under GPL v3, I'm
wondering if it is possible to distribute build system of a
program under GPL license version different from the main code?
In other words, wouldi it be legal to use GPL v2 for configure
script, makefile prototypes and similar stuff along with
simaltaneously usage of GPL v3 for the C program code?