[MPlayer-dev-eng] 2006 OSDL desktop linux report

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Jan 30 13:35:06 CET 2007

Hi

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 12:35:06PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >> There are people arguing that binary codecs are necessary:
> >> <http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html>
> >> (in section "Facing the Music")
> >
> > .. and of course they are blathering uninformed crap ..
> >

> Blog about it, write an essay, make people aware! I'm not referring to
> Diego but to everybody. If those journalist don't know about ffmpeg
> (that obscure thing that doesn't even have a cool logo) I think we have
> quite an image problem.

please read the chapter first before commenting too much, iam not saying i
agree with it in any way but i wouldnt call it "blathering uninformed crap"
or not knowin about ffmpeg, the text above
(http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html)
which is writen by Eric S. Raymond
does mention ffmpeg, mplayer and others it also says that binary codecs with
a per copy fee are a temporary workaround not that this is what the author
imagines being the final goal

ironically it also recognizes that microsoft does not license their codecs
unless forced by court, which is exactly what i was thinking first would
cause this nonsense to fail

also see
https://core.fluendo.com/gstreamer/trac/ticket/20

[...]

No evil is honorable: but death is honorable; therefore death is not evil.
-- Citium Zeno