[MPlayer-dev-eng] 2006 OSDL desktop linux report

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Jan 29 17:33:40 CET 2007

Hi

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 10:06:15PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 11:37:07PM +0000, Compn wrote:
> > OSDL has come out with a nice 2006 year-end report on the state of desktop
> > Linux.
> >
> > http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3453502692.html
> >
> > In its report it mentions how using binary video card drivers is a bad idea.
> > But later on the page it says how Fluendo will be making binary video codecs
> > for linux users.
> >
> > "Fluendo recently announced that they are making available plug-ins to handle
> > Windows Media Audio, Video, and MMS streaming protocol, MPEG-2 video decoding,
> > MPEG-4 Part 2 video decoding, ASF container format demuxing, MPEG-2 Program and
> > Transport Stream container format demuxing, MPEG-4 ISO container format demuxing
> > and MP3 audio. Further CODECs are planned for release by Fluendo over the course
> > of 2007."
> >
> > The report ignores the hard work of open source projects like FFmpeg and
> > MPlayer.
> > Both of which have had free open source support for those formats and codecs
> > for years. It also fails to mention why using binary codecs is not a problem
> > where using binary drivers is.
>
> Isn't it obvious by now that these 'zines are just corporate
> mouthpieces for advertising? Windows-centric proprietary hardware
> manufacturers, who aren't part of the advertising revenue of "Linux"
> mags, get flamed, while "Linux-oriented" proprietary software
> companies get praised in hopes that they'll buy ads. I think it's time
> to give these bastards some public flaming!

i didnt read the article above and so iam not sure who said what but
the retards who pretend that some corporate <word censored> improved
linux by making some propriatary probably EULA infested binary codecs
for some formats available which have been supported by free software
since years should be appropriately flamed

> BTW, any word yet on how many LOC Fluendo stole from GPL projects in
> writing "their" codecs?

no, where are these codecs?

[...]

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope