[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] TV support under Win32 using DirectShow

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Jan 16 20:08:03 CET 2007

Hello,
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 02:16:41PM +0600, Vladimir Voroshilov wrote:
> Driver consist of two parts:
> 1. DirectShow  filter with one video and one audio input pin to grab
> media samples from live source (almost finished)

I strongly prefer solutions that do not require installation if that was
possible.

>   * Pausing or moving video windows causes buffer overflow (no pause
> callback exists for tv subsystem in MPlayer and i'm afraid the same
> issue can be  applyed to the linux TV code).

Will have to see about that in detail, but in principle the stream layer
can just drop frames, assuming it knows where frames start and end...
I'm fairly certain that should be fixable (though even nicer would be if
moving the window wouldn't stop everything - interestingly the same
issue exists under linux, but only with some window managers...)

>   * Sets channels only by it's number, not by freq (probably device
> driver's limitation) that requires some not fine workaround.

"not fine" meaning? A table for translating frequencies into channels
seems like a perfectly fine way to handle this.
Anyway, without seeing the real code it all is hard to say...

[...]
> If anybody will be interesting in testing it i can upload prebuilded
> binaries+source anywhere in Web to make testing more easy.

This is the developers list, I'm sure some here would prefer not to test even
their own patches. If you want testing, MPlayer-cygwin or so seems the
better place to suggest it...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger