[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder variable FPS

Keith Chew keith.chew at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 20:55:58 CET 2007

Hi Michael

> 30 fps, 3600 seconds per hour 24 hours per day
> 4days -> 30*3600*24*4 frames = 10368000 frames or about 10 million
> now you need to store stream number, frame size, keyframe flag and the
> position for each of them so you can write the index at the end
> i dunno how effective mencoder stores these in memory but a simple
> int for flags, stream_id and size and a int64_t for position already
> provide for 4+4+4+8=20bytes which would account for 50% of the observed
> "memory leak" and if the file has a audio stream then that needs some
> space too ...

Good detective work! Actually, I made a mistake, I have 4 mencoder
processes running, not 1. It is encoding only video, no audio. I have
also set -noodml in the capture.

To explain my scenario better, mencoder is capturing video from the
camera to shared memory, writing to /dev/null. Ie

mencoder <tv and sharedmem options> -nosound -ovc copy -o /dev/null -noodml &

All I need mencoder to do is to output exactly what the bttv driver is
outputing, without having to do any indexing, etc. I was expecting the
above options not to have any leaks, just a straightforward stream
copy.

Regards
Keith