[MPlayer-dev-eng] [FIX] tdfx_vid driver for newer kernels (tested with 2.6.17)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jan 3 01:25:44 CET 2007

Bernhard Gruber wrote:
> The only drawback I found was, that I get quite a lot of horizontal "lines" in
> movies on my Voodoo3 3000 when there's a lot of motion in a scene (it seems like
> the video above this fictious lines are a frame further than the video below
> them). The XV-driver is hell slow here (HDTV videos don't even play without
> stuttering whereas the tdfx_vid-driver only needs 60% CPU usage) but these lines
> appear a little bit less. Has anoyne experienced such effects or knows how to
> solve that? As already said: I also have this using the XV driver so it should
> not be an issue with tdfx_vid itself...perhaps a general problem of the Voodoo3?

The effect you describe is called "tearing".

> Could anyone look over my file (the issue with the floating point arithmetic is
> marked with a "FIXME"-comment) and perhaps merge it into CVS if it's
> ok?
> Note: The Makefile is only for this module; the mga driver is not compiled and
> also seems to be incompatible with current kernels...
>
> I put up the two files here:
> http://www-nw.uni-regensburg.de/~.grb19435.5.stud.uni-regensburg.de/tdfx_vid.tar
> Usage:
> 1. Copy it in the drivers folder and do a "make" and "make install"
> 2. "mknod /dev/tdfx_vid c 178 0" and "modprobe tdfx_vid" to activate
> 3. Now use mplayer with "-vo tdfx_vid" or "-vo xover:tdfx_vid"

I cannot help you myself, and I think tdfx_vid is not currently
maintained. It would be a shame if your efforts went to /dev/null,
however; you might be able to increase your chances of getting
assistance by posting a patch according to the instructions in
.../DOCS/tech/patches.txt.

-Corey