[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] threaded decoding/filtering

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Tue Feb 27 20:51:34 CET 2007

Hi!

I'm in the middle of implementing support for threaded decoding/filtering
to take the most advantage of my dual-core processor (with -vo x11 -zoom).
My idea was to split decode_video into a function for decoding, a function
for filtering, and the timing stuff that would be moved to the core loop.

However, then I noticed this:

  http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design5/konf2002-arpi.html

which seems to indicate such feature is not welcome.  OTOH, the paper is
from 2002 and things have changed.  Linux 2.6 makes threading cheaper and
most new desktops come with at least two cores.  I think this would make
such feature desirable.

Any comments?  Are you interested?

--
Robert Millan

My spam trap is honeypot at aybabtu.com.  Note: this address is only intended
for spam harvesters.  Writing to it will get you added to my black list.