[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: native vs libavformat demuxers

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 26 00:41:38 CET 2007

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 11:25:13PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
>>Since you all want to remove it, at least let's begin with removing
>>code that is obsolete
>>(e.g. demux_aac, demux_audio and demux_avi come to mind, maybe more)
>

> Hehe, I was thinking more of the obscure stuff like demux_film and
> whatnot.
>
> I have a feeling that most of the libavformat demuxers except for
> RealMedia are probably better than our native ones.  Did anybody compare
> them in detail and/or run benchmarks?
>
> Diego

never done, but there's one main problem to fix in the interface
between libmpdemux and demux_lavf: removing the need to
memcpy the payload from the av_packet to demux_packet;
maybe extending the av_packet so as to report the amount of memory
needed and passing to lavf demux_packet's buffer?
or maybe something more good looking

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users