[MPlayer-dev-eng] uau - svn account removal

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Feb 25 09:08:49 CET 2007

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 05:00:52AM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > > I do not claim that the commit was an ideal example or that you would
> > > have to like it. But it does not justify your reaction.
> >
> > Yes, it does. You were repeatedly warned not to break the rules. You were
> > asked to fix your commit. You ignored us. Should I assume you don't intend
> > to revert and recommit your changes to mplayer.c properly?
>
> No, I don't intend to recommit changes to mplayer.c. I haven't seen any
> concrete suggestions for what a "proper" way of doing them would be,
> much less justification for doing so.
>
> The only concrete suggestions related to the commit that I've seen at
> all were about creating command.c with svn cp. I don't think that would
> be particularly beneficial in practice, but it still remains as possible
> as immediately after the commit (nothing has been "committed over the
> changes" in that file despite what you might think from reading the
> claims in this thread).
>
> I get the impression that at least some of the demands for reverting are
> made with the attitude "I don't agree with that, it must be reverted and
> reapplied for show even if there is no practical benefit".
>
> If some developers have problems figuring out exactly what the commit
> does I could write a more detailed commit log entry for it. Reading such
> structural changes from (necessarily large) diffs is not easy no matter
> how such diffs are created.

uau, I wish you had done as asked and not joined this conversation
until the voting was complete. I don't want to remove your svn access,
but you have been asked basically unanimously to revert your changes
(using svn cp to revert) and either recommit them in a way that
follows svn policy (using svn cp and separating functional changes
from cosmetics) or resubmit the patches for review prior to going
forward. Your email here makes it sound like you have no intention of
doing this.

If you clean up the mess, then I vote no to revoking your svn access.
But if all you plan to do is continue to argue, my vote is a big yes.

To make it concrete:
- svn mess cleaned up by 2007 Feb 27 00:00 +0000: my vote is no
- svn mess not cleaned up by 2007 Feb 27 00:00 +0000: my vote is yes

(cleaned up means to the specification of all the other developers,
not your own idea/interpretation of what's clean)

Rich