[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Re: PATCH [0/12] CoreAVCDecoder support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Feb 20 02:24:16 CET 2007

Hi

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 12:19:42PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 February 2007 at 14:17, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi

> > > If we define "performance-intensive" to be anything that runs
> > > per-macroblock, then that makes up 5488 of the 8653 lines in h264.c
> > > (not counting anything in dsputil since that has already been asmed).
> > > Of course not all of that is used on every video, e.g. a bunch of code is
> > > separate for cabac and cavlc. But all of it needs to be considered for
> > > optimization if we want all videos to be faster.
> > > It can't be narrowed too much farther, since a significant fraction of the
> > > cpu-time is spent in code that runs only once per macroblock.
> >
> > so my 200 page guess is pretty close 200*25=5000
> >
> > 5000 lines of code is a pretty large amount no matter if its to be asm
> > optimized or some more highlevel optimizations, maybe we could do some
> > contest where the winner gets a real 10l cola (and all the fame of being
> > the best) so
> >
> > the winner could be selected by simply benchmarking
> > there could be 2 classes (P4 and athlon maybe so 2 winners)
>
> Maybe include AMD64 (in 64bit mode) as a third class here?

ok, so assuming the relative lack of comments means everyone is so
enthusiastic they are speechless lets see what needs to be done

1. agree on the rules comments anyone?
2. do we have a idle P4 and AMD64 system and volunteer with access to it for
   benchmarking? if no positive yes then these cpus are droped
3. we need a few words on the webpage (diego, comments?)
4. decide until when and where patches must be submitted
5. decide and publish exactly how benchmarks will be done and how ties will
   be resolved
6. how to do worldwide cola delivery? trivial, transfer money and winner buys
   it, everything else is too tricky i fear, but iam open to other suggestions
   only restriction is that it must be cheap and simple, i dont mind paying
   the winner 10l cola, i do mind paying shipping costs for 10kg to australia

[...]

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle