[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Re: PATCH [0/12] CoreAVCDecoder support

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun Feb 18 06:27:42 CET 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 01:42:02AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
>> this wont happen and it shouldnt, its the compilers job, this is not
>> 2 pages of code its more like 200 pages of c code ...
>
> bleh.. :(
> is there any sane way to isolate the parts that are actually the most
> performance-intensive and only write them in asm? or is h264 just THAT
> idiotic that it has 200 pages of performance-intensive code do to
> massive overcomplexity?

If we define "performance-intensive" to be anything that runs
per-macroblock, then that makes up 5488 of the 8653 lines in h264.c
(not counting anything in dsputil since that has already been asmed).
Of course not all of that is used on every video, e.g. a bunch of code is
separate for cabac and cavlc. But all of it needs to be considered for
optimization if we want all videos to be faster.
It can't be narrowed too much farther, since a significant fraction of the
cpu-time is spent in code that runs only once per macroblock.

--Loren Merritt