[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Adam Tlałka atlka at pg.gda.pl
Mon Feb 12 11:12:04 CET 2007

Dnia Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:08:24 +0100
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> napisał(a):

> It works here. Though it's quite annoying that the mouse
> pointer jumps around :)

Yeah, I know that ;). The proper solution seems to be setting
some property of mplayer window which means that screensavings should be
not active and then Xserver with its internal DPMS and blanking should
respect it and also handle external screensaver program which
registered itself as screensaver. But there is no such property defined
for an application window yet. Periodical calls to
XResetScreenSaver(dpy) should do the job too, but as I tested it works
only with internal Xserver DPMS and blanking and not with X11
xscreensaver or gnome-screensaver :(. Too bad.

> Little side question: Would your approach work also,
> if the mouse pointer is on a different screen?
> I have two screens and i often do something on the
> second screen while watching something, with long periods
> of idleness in between. Of course, without letting the
> mouse pointer jump around on the second screen.

Question: is this only one Xserver or two having :0 and :1 ?
Separate Xserver has separate screensaver handling so it will not
mess with screen used for editing. Generally as I said before I preffer
this hack work only in mplayer's window but of course it will not work
in your case if there is only one Xserver.

> > -    if (mDisplay && xs_windowid && (time - time_last) > 30000)
> > +    if (mDisplay && (time - time_last) > 10000)
>
> While you are at it, can you make this value configurable?
It is possible of course.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka       mailto:atlka at pg.gda.pl    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^