[MPlayer-dev-eng] support https: URLs

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sun Feb 11 22:11:21 CET 2007

Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2007 14:42 Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
>>Mplayer _CAN_NOT_ fork
>

> I'm just curious, but *why*?
> fork() is POSIX-compilant function, and moreover it is already used
> in mplayer, e.g. in cache2 code.

because it's ugly, creates a mess, prevents certain things from
working (e.g. certain features of dvd://, dvdnav:// and maybe more are
not available)
and as you have seen it's not completely portable among the
architectures we support (cache2 uses a different method for win32
platforms).
It also uses much more memory than available and works behind the back
of mplayer (never a good thing, I wonder if it's even easily exploitable).
Since https:// can be implememted with library calls there's not
a single reason to fork the main process.

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users