[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 21:36:39 CET 2007

2007/2/8, Adam Tlałka <atlka at pg.gda.pl>:
> Dnia Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:42:04 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> napisał(a):
>
> > Where is there a patch?
>
> Look at
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2006-April/042520.html
>
> IMHO the proper way is to use some Xserver or X11 extension to signal
> that an app doesn't want screensaver or DPMS activation.
> Xserver should notice these requests and properly cooperate with
> registered xscreensaver program. Mentioned patch uses DBUS and is gnome
> specific.
>
> So mouse movements hack can work at once and forcing X-org people to
> implement properly working extension and of course Gnome and KDE people
> to use it is the future.

Read this thread again. Xorg have such extensions. It is KDE&Gnome
people fault that they ignore it. (however latest kde releases may
honor it). It's called Xss (X ScreenSaver).

Anyway, I wonder if your approach would work if motion is always
(0,0). The chance that screensavers check for motion events and not
motion itself. Anyway, it needs testing.

Just looked at the patch. Please let us remove the old screensaver
code. Your approach must be tested (in release) before we remove all
the other. And should not be enabled by default.
DMPS and XGet/SetScreenSaver are "official" X extensions, so they
should not be removed.