[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 7 15:31:09 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:24:46AM +0100, Adam Tlałka wrote:
> Dnia Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:16:36 +0800
> "Zuxy Meng" <zuxy.meng at gmail.com> napisał(a):
>
> > Hi,

> > > We were talking about this on IRC the other day.  A problem that we
> > > currently have is that gnome screensaver is not stopped, which is an
> > > annoyance for users.  An annoyance that distros have started working
> > > around in multiple different and mostly hackish ways.
> > >
> > > A way out of this dilemma might be generating keypress events at
> > > regular intervals.  It promises to work across all platforms and
> > > not need to be extended for the screensaver du jour ..
> >
> > Ever since Win98 Windows provides an API called
> > SetThreadExecutionState() that can be used as a heartbeat function to
> > prohibit screensavers. Anything similar in X Windows?
>
> Why in X Windows? It should be more generic app state.

No, this is the mistake the GNOME folks are making. There is no such
thing as a generic app because the app could be anywhere on the planet
or beyond, not just on the same host!! Any local method is
fundamentally flawed because it cannot account for this. We're talking
about an _X_ _screensaver_ here, so the method of disabling it must go
through the X protocol, not out-of-band local channels.

Rich