[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 7 00:38:38 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:55:30PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:22:22 +0100
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>
> > A way out of this dilemma might be generating keypress events at regular
> > intervals.  It promises to work across all platforms and not need to be
> > extended for the screensaver du jour ..
>
> NO!
> There is only one way to get that fixed once and for all.
> Contact freedesktop.org and tell them that they should
> add this to one of their standards.

Indeed, there needs to be a _NET_WM_INHIBIT_SCREEN_SAVER or similar
window property that clients can set, and that all screen savers
honor. The other solutions proposed like system(), dbus, etc. are all
very system-specific, unfriendly to remote clients and the X
protocol/philosophy, and just plain hackish.

If there's one hack I could tolerate it's the fake-keypress idea, but
we should have at most 2 "screensaver inhibiting" mechanisms in
MPlayer: one that uses an agreed-upon, EWMH-sanctioned X property
mechanism, and at most one fallback hack for noncompliant software
that covers all the cases. Linking to special libraries and calling
special client programs for each special case is ridiculous.

Rich