[MPlayer-dev-eng] Trailing whitespace removal and precommit hooks

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 16:03:38 CET 2007

Hi,

On 2/1/07, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> is anyone against installing a precommit hook that will disallow adding
> trailing whitespace?

I'm a bit late to comment on the subject, but while I like the idea of
not having trailing spaces snucking in, based on my experience with
ffmpeg's pre-commit script, it's really a pain sometimes when I apply
a 3rd party patch that contains such spaces, especially when I'm not
using my favourite text editor that can automatically "fix" this
problem.

Well, you could object that I just should stick to my editor all the
time... trouble is, it's not always available on the machine I'm using
to commit, so I have to switch to manual.

All in all, it makes a patch applying job really un-enjoyable.

To put it in a nutshell, I don't have a strong option on whether or
not we should also use a pre-commit script, I just wanted to give my
feedback on my user experience.

Guillaume