[MPlayer-dev-eng] Vidix Status

Benjamin Zores ben at geexbox.org
Sun Feb 4 15:16:37 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here has an idea of MPlayer's vidix status
towards vidix.sf.net project.

It seems that we grabbed it once, then added some tweaks that were never
send upstream but now, the vidix.sf.net project has continue to evolve
and we don't support these changes any longer.
For example, when I look at radeon_vid driver, I can see that MPlayer
doesn't support chipsets higher then R350 (radeon 9600/9800) while
vidix.sf.net has additional support for all ATI Xsomething cards.

So I was wondering if maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to:
- check for changes that have been applied to MPlayer and sent them
upstream.
- remove the built-in vidix-lib and drivers to _always_ rely on the
external vidix.sf.net project
- or, as vidix was iirc originaly coded by MPlayer devels, host it on
mplayerhq using SVN, that would allow us to have an always up-to-date
vidix lib/drivers (and so keep it built-in) as it is done for
libavcodec/format.

Vidix is a great thing, faster than XV and so, it's a pity not having
support for up-to-date drivers.

For the record, one of GeeXboX devels is currently working on Vidix SiS
driver and I probably will do the same for Intel cards once i get the
h/w and I really feel uncomfortable having to write it both for MPlayer
and vidix.sf.net.

What you think about it ??

Ben