[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] turn wordsize check from runtime to compile time

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:04:01 CET 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 10:28 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier.adi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 7, 2007 12:06 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier.adi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > attached patch changes the sizeof(size_t) discovery process from a
> > runtime check (which doesnt work when cross-compiling) to a compile
> > time check (which does work when cross-compiling)
> >
> > tested on ppc/linux and blackfin/linux
>
> so what's it gonna take for this ?  just realized that this patch was
> never merged ... it still applies (once you change "$TMPO" to
> "$TMPEXE" in the patch) to current trunk ...
> -mike

I'm not configure maintainer and I'm not even quite good in shell scripts.
However, I think there are few things that may be improved.
1. Don't try to compile array[-1], with gcc you never know, it may
actually compile it.
Better try to use #if #error directives.
2. No need to check for 0 case. What are we going to do if it succeeds?
3. I think that MP_WORDSIZE <bits> , your code returns it as <chars//bytes//>