[MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG?] Possiblity to display subtitle at once after a seek for soft sub in mkv?

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Mon Dec 3 23:25:36 CET 2007

Ulion wrote:

> 2007/12/3, Aurelien Jacobs <aurel at gnuage.org>:
> > Ulion wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > An user on irc has been annoyed for 5 years for this problem, soft
> > > subs (in mkv, ogm) not get displayed immediately after a seek. He
> > > said other player has no such problem, then this could be a
> > > ignored feature. I guess those players may already load all subs
> > > into memory, or seek to an earlier position to catch sub should
> > > be displayed at the seek target point.
> >
> > I don't remember if Matroska has a way to know where does the sub
> > that should be displayed currently, start (something like a sub
> > index). If it don't, I doubt that parsing the whole file, or even
> > seeking back to try to find a sub would be something acceptable.
>
> Any detail advice how to do that, such like how to change that code
> seeking back about 10 seconds and demux only subtitle stream until the
> seek target pts? I'm not familar with demuxers, so if with your
> advice, I may do that?

Why 10 seconds ? The sub might have started 1 hour ago...
I don't think it's OK to add a hack that don't work in all the
situations.

> > > I don't known whether mplayer has any chance make this?
> >
> > Even if there is a proper way to do it, I'm not interested to do it
> > for MPlayer demuxer. Doing it for lavf demuxer would be more useful
> > in the long-run.
>
> I'd like to see lavf demuxer support that feature, will it be soon?

As soon as you provide a patch that don't rely on seeking back to a
random time nor on parsing the whole file before starting playback.

A hint: I guess that most Matroska files have an index for
subtitles "frames". See:
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#CueingData

Aurel