[MPlayer-dev-eng] 64-bit issue in ad_faad.c

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Apr 30 19:52:42 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 08:18:02PM +0300, Ismail Dönmez wrote:
> On Monday 30 April 2007 20:09:43 Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> [...]
> > Unless that statement came directly from them in some legally binding
> > way (this absolutely excludes email) that statement is worth less than
> > a dead fly on the windshield...
> > And even assuming that they are still GPL-compatible, have you checked that
> > MPlayer satisfies the extra clause they added?
>
> Multiple Nero engineers said its still GPLv2 (not just compatible even) in
> forums. So I'll believe it when when they start to sue/threaten.

They're wrong nonetheless.  Look up the discussion on the xine-devel
mailing list and the hydrogenaudio forums.  The consensus is that it's
GPL incompatible and the FSF agrees with our interpretation.  The Nero
engineers didn't seem very happy with the decision of the legal
department back then, but they couldn't make them reverse it.

Diego