[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer is looking for new mirrors

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Apr 30 14:03:53 CEST 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:14:50 -0700
Josh Triplett <josh at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Have you considered asking OSUOSL <http://osuosl.org> to mirror mplayer?

Nope i haven't. But a short look at their website says:
---
Contributions that you may be able to make to cover costs. Please understand
that without such contributions, resources available to your system (such as
bandwidth) may be shared with a usage cap set
---

Because we do not have the financal backing (and because we
refuse to have any financial backing) we can not contribute
anything to our mirrors for their cost. With the OSUOSL this
would mean that we would get capped, which leaves the whole
mirror without meaning.

Our requirement of 5MBit/s steady state is not just for fun
or because we like to scare people. No, even our smallest
mirror makes 500GB Traffic a month (the larger ones being
between 1 and 1.5TB).

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred