[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Apr 30 10:01:58 CEST 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 03:07:14 +0200
Gianluigi Tiesi <mplayer at netfarm.it> wrote:

> uh... the post started with a question: prefer alsa to oss as
> __default__ so why this "semi-flame"?

Simply because someone started to claim that ALSA is
superior to OSS.

> As most of you don't agree to this, just leave as is.
> Package develpers can choice the best driver for their packages
> and who builds manually mplayer knowns for sure how to change
> driver in the conf.

This is a little bit short sighted. If ALSA has problems
and packagers use ALSA as default then we'll get a lot
of bugreports that are hard to trace down. It wouldn't
be the first time something like this happend either.

It is our responsibilty to see that MPlayer by default
works well on 99% of all systems.

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred