[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 18:24:51 CEST 2007

2007/4/29, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> Hello,
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 08:59:20PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 02:10:47AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > > Well... It wouldn't necessarily be too late for a libalsa-only vs.
> > > clean, portable (as in acceptable to support under e.g. BSDs),
> > > simple and properly documented kernel API for ALSA discussion,
> > > would that one have a chance?
> >
> > The clean simple properly documented kernel API already exists. It's
> > called OSS. Using the ALSA drivers does not preclude using the proper
> > API that already exists.
>
> Unfortunately, exist, or more precisely "deteriorate", is the only thing
> it does currently :-(. It doesn't show too much I guess, because audio
> is probably the thing that has made least progress in the PC, probably
> even if you include power supply efficiency, and that is already
> unspeakable...
> Still, DTS is at least not even in theory supported by OSS according to
> my linux headers, and I don't see anyone who would do whatever necessary to
> support more things done in hardware, OpenAL or EAX-style, if that ever
> happens to become more popular (maybe not that much more chance with
> that with ALSA either though).

This may be true for the OSS drivers in the kernel but 4Front
Technology still continue to develop it.
And in case new developers don't know, long time ago 4Front offered
free license to all mplayer developers in order to insure that their
commercial drivers would work flawlessly with MPlayer. Maybe the offer
still stands.