[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] hack around desync on OSS pause

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Apr 29 09:28:38 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 09:02:58PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
[...]
> The functionality is not needed in the driver. Just make ao_oss keep a
> copy of whatever audio it's submitted, and on pause, check the current
> delay/position in the buffer, then resubmit those samples after
> unpause.

Um. Normally you don't advocate code bloat and waste of
memory and CPU time (> 2MB/s is a possible value even if you disregard
the really insane audio sampling rates and channel counts that are
actually possible and in (rare) use), esp. for something that in my
uneducated eyes seems almost trivial to do in the driver (though it
would conflict with closing the device on pause).

> Or if you just care about the desync issue with multiple framesteps,
> fix mplayer.c so that it doesn't decode/submit audio at all when the
> audio timer is ahead of the video timer.

I tried this _twice_, I'm not going to propose a third variant any time
soon, no sorry.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger