[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 29 02:59:20 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 02:10:47AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 01:11:28AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> [...]
> > For general OSS<->ALSA discussions you are more than five years too late.

No, I had no interest in being involved in that because I knew we'd
always have the OSS API available regardless of whatever crap the ALSA
folks made.

> Well... It wouldn't necessarily be too late for a libalsa-only vs.
> clean, portable (as in acceptable to support under e.g. BSDs),
> simple and properly documented kernel API for ALSA discussion,
> would that one have a chance?

The clean simple properly documented kernel API already exists. It's
called OSS. Using the ALSA drivers does not preclude using the proper
API that already exists.

Rich